Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall Break!!!

Friday was our Fall Break at school. One day isn't much, but that's okay...we'll take what we can get!

Thursday night we went to my mom's house becuase my cousins AJ and Crystal were up from St. George visiting. They have the cutest kids! This was mine and Jake's first time meeting Maycie, who is just 2 months old. She is such a doll!

Friday morning we went to the Ogden temple to do a session, but when we walked in they asked us if we wanted to do sealings. I was really excited becuase we had never done sealings before! It was really neat. One of the neatest things is one certain guy we met while we were there who was one of the witnesses. He was 101 years old! When the sealer told us he comes to the temple 4 days a week, Brother Newey responded "It's because I have nothing else to do!" He was such a cute old man and I want to be just as willing to serve when I get old (hopefully not that old...unless I can get around that good!)

Afterwards, Jake had some fieldtrips we needed to do for his geography of Utah class. We decided to go out out the Bear River Bird Refuge and Golden Spike at Promontory Point. I had never been to the bird refuge, so it was pretty cool. One of my favorite displays they had were some different bird eggs. The smallest is a humming bird, and the largest is a pelican. Jake also got to see how his wingspan measured up!

Although Golden Spike is out in the middle of nowhere, it was still cool to see. I hadn't been there since elementary school. It was fun to see the trains in the engine house and learn the history behind it all! It's pretty amazing what they were able to accomplish. The best part about the day by far is that we got to spend the whole day together!

Saturday Jake did a cycle-cross bike race at the Weber fairgrounds. He has never done a race of this type before. It's on a dirt track that you ride around for 45 mins. It has obstacles on the course where you have to get off your bike and carry it. He did awesome. I am so proud of him. He took 9th place out of about 30 riders, which is AMAZING considering it is his first race and many of the riders are usually in a faster category than Jake (they combined the 3 groups for this race). I tell ya, that kid is unstoppable! I was so bummed out that I couldn't be there because I was working, but hopefully I'll be able to make the next one.
Saturday night we went to feed the ducks and geese, an activity that we thoroughly enjoy this time of year. We first made a stop by Beus pond and then to the pond at Weber State. This goose was immediately Jake's favorite becuase it has a banded leg...his goal is to someday shoot a banded goose!!! My favorite was the goose that was eating right out of my hand! We even saw a swan up close and personal!

We also had a fun time hanging out with Nate and Karly this weekend Karly, your lasagna was delectable! We also got to go to dinner with Jake's mom, aunts and grandma on saturday night. They were down shopping becuase it was the opening day of the deer hunt. It was so fun to visit with you!

3 comments:

Jordan and Amy Kite said...

your a natural at holding that baby!!

The Schmutz Family said...

Hey Kristin, It was so good to see you guys. That is a cute baby. :) I can't wait until we see you again. Love you guys!

darikamurphy-off campus student said...

I'm glad to hear from you. I bought loupes from SheerVision. I am happy with them and haven't had any problems. I don't use them with every patient. I use them with perio patients or patients with 3rd molars. Of course this is all preference. I look as this purchase as an investment to help me ergonomically. It's hard to say if it truly does that. But I know when I don't have my loupes with certain patients, I wish I did. I would love to answer any other question you might have.